The Panther Post

The Student News Site of A-Tech High School

The Panther Post

Breaking News
  • This is a breaking news headline.

The Panther Post

The Panther Post

Civil Unrest and Conflict and Myanmar

A brief explanation on the ongoing situation in Myanmar…
https%3A%2F%2Fwww.economist.com%2Fasia%2F2023%2F12%2F19%2Fchina-is-backing-opposing-sides-in-myanmars-civil-war
Reuters
https://www.economist.com/asia/2023/12/19/china-is-backing-opposing-sides-in-myanmars-civil-war

Myanmar has been going through a complicated struggle and civil war in recent years, which has not received much attention from the international community. Political conflicts, historical grudges, and long-standing ethnic tensions are the root causes of this war.

Myanmar is a Southeast Asian country situated between India, China, and Thailand. It’s a predominantly Buddhist country with a minority of Muslims and Christians. Myanmar, formerly known as Burma, officially changed its name in 1989.

The conflict in Myanmar has escalated due to several issues, including the government’s mistreatment of ethnic minorities, especially the Rohingya Muslims. Discriminatory policies, marginalization, and increasing violence against the Rohingya people have led to a humanitarian catastrophe. Decades of military persecution have intensified the demand for self-rule and recognition by ethnic groups.

The Rohingya People are predominantly Muslim and do not have a state; they live within the Rakhine State of Myanmar. Prior to any conflict, the population of the Rohingya in Rakhine was up to 1.4 million, but this has drastically changed due to the Rohingya genocide and persecution, leading to around 900,000 fleeing into Bangladesh.

It’s crucial that students understand the significance of this war as it raises concerns about cultural diversity, human rights, and the stability of a nation. Myanmar’s problems serve as a sobering reminder of what happens when different voices are not heard, and to prevent widespread suffering.

From empathy to cultural awareness to the importance of diplomacy in settling disputes, students can take away important lessons about being global citizens from Myanmar’s problems. They can help create a positive and just world by staying up to date on foreign politics and developing a sense of responsibility for the welfare of those who live farther away.