The Panther Post

The Student News Site of A-Tech High School

The Panther Post

Breaking News
  • This is a breaking news headline.

The Panther Post

The Panther Post

Hispanic and Latino Delight: Emapanadas

Examining and Enjoying the craft of making Empanadas
Source%3A+https%3A%2F%2Fhandletheheat.com%2Fbreakfast-empanadas%2F
Source: https://handletheheat.com/breakfast-empanadas/

We frequently find ourselves surrounded by many cultures within the vast structure of the A-Tech community, each adding its unique flavors and customs. This week, we explore the food world and the delicious treat known as empanadas, a cultural delicacy that has won people’s hearts and palates worldwide.

What are Empanadas?

Meaning “wrapped in bread” in Spanish, empanadas are savory pastries that are a product of several European and Latin American culinary traditions. Folding dough over a filling—any combination of meats, veggies, cheeses, and spices—creates these delicious pockets of flavor. The end product is a flavorful delight that can be carried around easily.

The Art of Making Empanadas:

Making empanadas is a craft that ties people to their cultural heritage and is a great food. Making the dough, preparing the filling, and expertly folding it into the recognizable half-moon shape are all part of the procedure. The diversity of empanadas makes them so beautiful; from the Argentine meat empanadas to the fruit-filled sweet dessert variations, each country adds its unique touch to this culinary marvel.

How to Make Empanadas: 

To make empanadas at home, use this easy recipe:

Ingredients: 

DOUGH

• Three c.(360 g.) all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/2 c.(1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
  • One large egg

FILLING & ASSEMBLY

• 1 tbsp. Extra-virgin olive oil
  • One yellow onion, chopped
  • Two cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • One lb. ground beef
  • 1 tbsp. tomato paste
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. paprika
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 c. chopped pickled jalapeños
  • 1/2 c. chopped tomatoes
  • All-purpose flour for surface
  • 1 1/4 c. shredded cheddar
  • 1 1/4 c. shredded Monterey Jack
  • One large egg
  • Chopped fresh cilantro and sour cream for serving

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut butter into dry ingredients with your hands or a pastry cutter until pea-sized pieces form. Add egg and 3/4 cup water and mix with a wooden spoon until a dough forms.
  2. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth, about 5 minutes.
  3. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.

FILLING & ASSEMBLY

1.  Preheat oven to 400°. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add beef and cook, breaking meat up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain fat.
  2. Return pan to medium heat and stir tomato paste into beef. Add oregano, cumin, and paprika; season with salt and pepper. Add jalapeños and tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until warmed for about 3 minutes. Let cool slightly.
  3. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide in half. Roll one half to 1/4″ thick. Cut out rounds Using a 4.5″ round cookie cutter. Repeat with the remaining dough. Reroll scraps once to cut out more rounds.
  4. Lightly moisten the outer edge of a dough round with water. Place about two tablespoons filling in the center. Top with cheddar and Monterey Jack. Fold the dough in half over the filling. Using a fork, crimp edges together. Repeat with the remaining filling and dough.
  5. In a small bowl, beat the egg with a splash of water. Place empanadas on prepared baking sheets and brush with egg wash.
  6. Bake empanadas until golden brown; the filling is warmed for about 25 minutes.
  7. Top with cilantro and serve with sour cream alongside.

For those who make and eat them, empanadas are more than just a tasty snack—they have cultural importance. Folding these adorable packets, families gather to pass on recipes from generation to generation and exchange tales and laughs. Empanadas celebrate a variety of culinary traditions and serve as a representation of heritage and home.

Take a culinary adventure with this delicious treat, regardless of your interest in the craft of empanada production or your desire to sample the diverse flavors of other countries. Accept the variety that empanadas provide to the A-Tech community, and you could find a new favorite treat that binds us all together and across cultural boundaries.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Panther Post

Your donation will support the student journalists of A-Tech High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.